Indiana School Counselor Certification
Indiana school guidance counselors help students succeed by promoting student engagement and learning, a positive school culture, and college and career readiness. For more information about school counseling in Indiana, download the Department of Education Content Standards for Educators – School Counselor manual.
If you are interested in becoming a school counselor in Indiana, you may find additional information regarding licensing requirements on the Indiana Department of Education website.
- Top Picks
Featured Universities with School Counseling Programs
Skip down the page to the certification pathway you’re interested in:
Initial Indiana School Counselor Certification
Applicants for an Indiana original school counselor license must submit a packet for consideration of an evaluation, which does not guarantee a license.
To be considered for an evaluation, you must meet all of the following requirements.
Step 1: Educational Requirements
- Master’s degree or higher in school counseling from a regionally accredited institution of higher education, with completed coursework in school service standards – contact our featured schools to learn more about their programs:Sponsored School(s)Featured Programs:
- Top Picks
Featured Universities with School Counseling Programs
- Completion of CPR/Heimlich maneuver certification. For a list of approved providers, visit this webpage
- Completion of suicide prevention training. For a list of training opportunities, including approved online vendors, visit the Indiana DOE website
Step 2: Submit to a Criminal Background Check
Upon being hired, new Indiana school counselors will be required to obtain an expanded criminal history check and expanded child protection index check, and pay for all associated costs. The criminal history check must be completed no later than thirty (30) days after the hire date, and the child protection index check must be complete no more than sixty (60) days after the hire date.
Background checks may be updated every five (5) years.
For more information about criminal background checking and pre-employment reference checks, view this PDF.
Step 3: Examination Requirements
You must complete the Indiana Core Assessment for School Counselor, with a passing score of 220. This multiple-choice, computer-based exam takes approximately two hours to complete. The exam fee is $114, payable with a VISA or MasterCard credit card only.
Approved testing sites are located nationwide, and offer year-round testing dates. For more information about this exam, to access study materials, and register for a test date, visit the Indiana CORE Assessment website.
Step 4: Organize Your Application Materials
Your complete application is submitted online and includes the following materials:
- Completed profile and application through the online LVIS system, located here
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities you have attended, including transfer credits that led to earned degree
- A copy of your CPR/Heimlich maneuver certification
- A copy of your suicide prevention training certificate
- $35 initial fee to determine eligibility for evaluation
When you submit your application materials, you will also select your recommending institution. A licensing advisor from that institution will process your Indiana school counselor license application. For a list of Licensing Advisors at colleges/universities across the state, visit this this webpage.
Step 5: Know the Fees
Initial fee to determine eligibility for evaluation: $35 plus a processing fee
Upon successful evaluation, license issuance fee: $35 plus a processing fee
All fees are nonrefundable. An automated email will notify you when the license issuance fee is due. For additional information about the application fees, visit this webpage.
Step 6: Submit Your Application
Your application for Indiana School Counselor license must be submitted online, using the Licensing Verification and Information System (LVIS), located on the Indiana DOE website.
For detailed instructions about how to create an online profile, apply online, and submit all necessary supporting documentation through the portal, download the Licensing Advisor Manual.
If you need assistance with your School Counselor license application, please contact the licensing department at the Indiana Department of Education.
Indiana School Counselor Certification Renewal
The school counselor license is valid for two (2), five (5), or ten (10) years from the date of issue, depending on which license the Licensing Advisor grants, and must be renewed within 45 days of the license expiration date.
Your renewal application must include renewal through one of the following methods:
- Professional Growth Plan, download this document here for more information about renewing your license through a professional growth plan; or
Professional development activities, and may include six (6) hours college coursework. For more information about renewing your license through coursework, visit this webpage.
The licensing advisor at each Indiana college/university can advise you which courses qualify for the professional development renewal requirement. For a list of Licensing Advisors at colleges/universities across the state, visit this webpage.
If you would like to renew your Indiana School Counselor license online, visit the Indiana DOE website for all required materials and information for how to renew online.
For more information about how to renew your Indiana School Counselor license, you can contact a certification specialist via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Department of Education at 317-232-9010.
Indiana School Counselor Certification Through Reciprocity
Although Indiana does not have a full reciprocity process, applicants who hold a current and valid school counselor license in another U.S. state can submit materials as an out-of-state applicant. The complete application packet, including all supporting documentation and fees, must be submitted online.
Out-of-state application materials include:
- Completed profile, application, and $35 initial payment through the online licensing system
- Copy of CPR/Heimlich maneuver certification
- Copy of suicide prevention training certificate
- Official transcripts for all institutions attended
- Copy of current, valid school counselor license
- Verification of out-of-state experience as a school counselor
For more details about these application materials, and instructions for how to complete an online profile, visit the IN DOE website.
If you have questions about your out-of-state application, contact the Indiana Department of Education at 317-232-901 to speak with a specialist.
Indiana School Counseling Certification Resources
For resources to assist you with continuing education and other career development opportunities, see the following websites:
- Indiana School Counselor Association
- Indiana State Board of Education
- American School Counselor Association
- National Board of Certified Counselors