How to Become an Indiana School Counselor
Where are you on your quest to become an Indiana School Counselor?
Explore the information below and learn how you can become a school counselor in Indiana. Some of the information below may be subject to change. In order to make sure you have the most current information, please feel free to contact your school counseling education program advisor or contact the Indiana Department of Education licensing department at (866) 542-3672.
- Top Picks
Featured Universities with School Counseling Programs
I’m a High School Graduate…
Well, you’re still a ways off from being qualified to earn an Indiana school counseling certification. However, you are in a fantastic position to take the next steps toward becoming qualified and at the same time learn all about the career and the field of education.
Beginning your quest to learn about the Indiana school counselor career right now gives you a great advantage. You will have ample opportunity to decide whether this career is right for you without wasting any time earning a specialized degree in a field you end up deciding is not the right fit.
The following are recommended steps that will help you acquire the education you need while also learn more about working with student aged individuals.
Gather information from schools offering associate degree programs or bachelor degree programs in psychology, counseling or any type of program you are currently interested in. It is not imperative you enroll in a counseling program at this point. The only necessity is that you begin earning your associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree.
A great way to find out if you are interested in a social service type of career, like school counseling, is to find volunteering organizations who work with children or young adults. The following are links to organizations who can place you in volunteering positions across the state of Indiana:
- The United Way of Central Indiana
- Mentoring Indiana youth is a great avenue to learn whether or not working in education is right for you. The following links are additional mentoring organizations you can volunteer with:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Indiana
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Central Indiana
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northeast Indiana
- List of Indiana School Websites and Contact Info
- Use this link to find schools near you as well as each school’s contact information. Contact these schools to find out if there are any volunteer programs you may participate in.
We strongly urge you to get involved as soon as possible. Career exploration is a very important task for young adults. As you learn more about various careers, you will learn more about yourself and what it is that makes you happy. So dive in, and learn about mentoring and the Indiana School Counselor career!
I have already earned a college degree…
The following are the steps necessary for earning your school counseling certification in Indiana:
Fulfill educational requirements through one of the following avenues:
- Earn a Master’s degree in School Counseling
- Or find more school counseling programs in Indiana here.
- Earn a Master’s in any other field and then separately, complete a school counseling program from an approved educational institution.
You will need to complete all experience requirements set forth by your school counseling program.
Complete the appropriate applications. You can complete and submit your application and pay for the application through the Indiana’s online system: Apply Here
Obtain your “limited criminal history report”. Visit www.in.gov/isp/lch for more information on acquiring this report. The original of the report will need to be submitted with your application.
Pay the required application fees through the online system or via mail.
Complete the state approved CPR/Heimlich maneuver certification course. Find more information here.
Effective July 1, 2013 applicants for an initial teaching license must successfully complete suicide prevention training. Read more about this requirement and find state suggested vendors here.
Call the Indiana Department of Education for more information at (866) 542-3672
I’m a certified counselor from another state…
Indiana does recognize school counseling certifications from other states; however, your credentials will still need to be evaluated and you will also need to fulfill a rew other requirements before being awarded an Indiana school counselor certification. The following are a few guidelines that should help you on your way:
- Complete the appropriate application. You can complete the online application and obtain more information about additional requirements here.
- You will need to obtain a “Limited Criminal History Report” and attach this to your application. You can find more information on how to acquire this report from the following website.
- You will need to pay the required fees. Learn more about the fees here.
- You will also need to complete the state approved CPR/Heimlich maneuver certification course. Find more information here.
- Complete suicide prevention training. Effective July 1, 2013 applicants for an initial teaching license must successfully complete suicide prevention training. Read more about this requirement and find state suggested vendors here.
- For more indepth information on your particular case, you can call the IDE at the following number: (866) 542-3672