Wyoming School Counselor Certification
Are you seeking to obtain a school counseling certificate or license in the state of Wyoming? You might be pleased to know you have a couple of options to choose from:
Skip down to find information relevant to your situation:
- Top Picks
Featured Universities with School Counseling Programs
Initial Wyoming School Counselor Certification
No matter which option you choose, here are the specific steps to take for your initial Wyoming school counseling certification.
Step 1: Education Requirements
Fulfill all of your educational requirements by earning your Master’s degree in school counseling or a related field. Some accredited, state-approved options are:
- Top Picks
Featured Universities with School Counseling Programs
Your degree must be obtained through an accredited, state-approved program. Some educational options include accreditation from the Masters in Psychology and Counseling Accreditation Council (MPCAC) OR credentials from the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
Step 2: Experience Requirements
Complete Wyoming’s experience stipulations by choosing at least one of the following:
- Participate in an internship that is at least one year in length and is state-approved. This internship must be related to the school counseling role. This is the most common path for first-time certification seekers.
- Complete two years of teaching in a classroom setting (full-time only).
- Serve part-time as an experienced school counselor for a two-year period. (This is the most common route for out-of-state residents seeking Wyoming certification).
- Work three full years in a chosen human services field.
Step 3: Submit to a Background Check
Go through a comprehensive background check and proper procedures for fingerprinting.
- All applicants must provide two authentic FBI fingerprint cards, even if they have recently gone through the process in another state.
- Please know that fingerprint cards will only be accepted if they are in black ink, and are not folded, stapled, or damaged in any way.
- Include both of the blue fingerprint cards with your application packet.
Step 4: Organize Your Application Materials
Download, print, and carefully complete the Wyoming application for initial certification 404.
- It is strongly recommended you follow the application steps carefully, and check for any additional requirements that may be added through the Wyoming Department of Education website.
- Keep in mind, the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board (PTSB) does not accept scanned or copied applications. Nor do they receive faxed copies at this time.
- Be completely forthcoming on your application, and include any documentation that might prolong the process.
Step 5: Institutional Recommendation
Contact the institution where your preparation program was completed and obtain valid records.
- Submit the institution recommendation form to your college dean or certification officer. This should be completed in full.
- Have the completed recommendation form sent directly to your home address and not the Professional Teaching Standards Board. Include this form with your application and other required documents.
Step 6: Official Transcripts
Obtain your official transcripts from all the colleges/universities where you completed your courses. (Again, have these documents sent to your home address.)
- Your official transcripts must be included in your application process and cannot be copied or scanned.
- Make sure your official transcripts have your specific degree listed. If your degree is not clearly seen on your transcripts, your application will likely not be processed.
Step 7: Have a Solid Understanding Our Government
Understand the main concepts of the U.S. Constitution and the Wyoming State Constitution. This can be done through an approved college course, or by exam.
- You do not need to demonstrate proficiency in either constitution if you already have or have ever had a school counseling license through the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board (PTSB).
- If you choose to take an exam to demonstrate proficiency in the U.S. and Wyoming Constitutions, you can schedule a time to take that exam through the PTSB office, or through any Wyoming school district. This will require a sufficient score that clearly portrays your knowledge of both constitutions.
- If you are out-of-state, you may opt to take the exam at a location nearest you.
- You can find study guides for both constitution exams HERE 404.
- Once you have completed the constitutional exams, please include verified results and scores with your official transcript and complete application packet.
Step 8: Stay In Touch
Lastly, be sure to contact the Wyoming Department of Education to ensure you are on track for your Wyoming school counseling certification.
- They can be reached at (307) 777-7291.
- Though it may be tempting to skip this step, please follow through to ensure you’ve successfully completed all the necessary steps to make the process go as smoothly as possible.
Mail all appropriate and required documentation to this address:Professional Teaching Standards Board
1920 Thomes Avenue, Suite 400
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Additional Contact Information:(307) 777-6261
Wyoming Department of Education website
Wyoming School Counselor Certification Renewal
Every five years, school counselors in Wyoming must renew their licenses. No matter how much experience they have, they are required to complete an additional five hours through state-approved classes or workshops. These additional hours may be accomplished through an accredited university.
When you’ve completed the added hours of required coursework, you can apply for renewal on the Wyoming PTSB website. Be prepared to provide verification of the additional credits and double-check the requirements on the back of your current school counseling certificate. Keep in mind, if you receive your additional credits through a PTSB class or workshop, they will have a record of those credits in their system.
Wyoming School Counselor Certification Through Reciprocity
The state of Wyoming does allow school counseling certification through reciprocity. However, you will still need to fill out an application and have all of your credentials approved.
Along with your application, you will need to have proof of at least three years of experience as a school counselor. This experience will need to have taken place within the last 6 years of your career.
To find out more information about the reciprocity process, or any other information about school counseling in Wyoming, please refer to the Wyoming Department of Education and review any further requirements.