How to Become a Kansas School Counselor

Where are you on your quest to become a Kansas School Counselor?

Explore the information below and learn how you can become a school counselor in Kansas. Some of the information below may be subject to change. In order to make sure you have the most current information, please feel free to contact your school counseling education program advisor or contact the Kansas Department of Education licensing department at (785) 291-3678.

I’m a High School Graduate…

Kansas high school graduates looking to become school counselors in Kansas are far ahead of the curve. You are setting yourself up to be able to confidently learn whether or not a career as a Kansas school counselor is right for you, while at the same time quickly acquiring the credentials that will qualify you for certification.

First thing’s first, you will need to earn your Kansas teaching certification. You can do this by completing a teacher education program.

Or simply begin earning your undergraduate education and worry about teacher certification later. The following are recommended steps for post-secondary education as well as steps to help you learn whether working in the field of education is right for you.

Step One:

Gather information from schools offering associate degree programs or bachelor degree programs in psychology, counseling or any type of program you are currently interested in. It is not imperative you enroll in a counseling program at this point. The only necessity is that you begin earning your associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree.

Sponsored Content

Step Two:

A great way to find out if you are interested in a social service type of career, like school counseling, is to find volunteering organizations who work with children or young adults. The following are links to organizations who can place you in volunteering positions across the state of Kansas:

Well, you’ve taken a big step by initiating some career research, but it does not help you if you do not take the next step! So, get out there and find out how to earn your associate’s or bachelor’s degree and jump into a volunteer position that can teach you about working with student aged individuals.

Back to the top

I have already earned a college degree…

The following are the steps necessary for earning your school counseling certification in Kansas:

Step One:

Step Two:

Attain the required educational credentials with a cumulative graduate GPA at or above 3.25:

    1. Earn a Master’s degree from an accredited institution:
    2. Or find more school counseling programs in Kansas here.

Step Three:

Your education and experience must meet recency requirements. Contact the Kansas Department of Education for more information: (785) 291-3678

Step Four:

Access the application for certification, the fingerprint card order form, plus instructions for a background check through the following webpage.

Step Five:

Successfully complete Kansas’ examination requirements for Kansas school counselors. Praxis School Guidance Counseling or learn more about the Praxis examination here.

Step Six:

We encourage you to contact the Kansas Department of Education to make sure you are doing everything you need to be doing in order to become a Kansas school counselor. You can contact the KSDE with the following number: (785) 291-3678

It is a great time to become a Kansas school counselor. With many school counselors projected to retire in the coming years, there should be many available school counseling positions opening up.

In addition, Kansas school counselors are receiving more attention than ever before. With accountability weighing down on all educators’ shoulders, many are finally turning to the benefits of psychological expertise when designing curriculum and working to help break down learning barriers for all Kansas students.

I’m a certified counselor from another state…

Kansas will evaluate your credentials (education, experience, and examinations) before recommending you for certification. However, Kansas is in need of highly qualified school counselors and will work with you to help you qualify and apply for your school counseling certification in Kansas.

Download the Form 2: Initial Out-of-State Application from the Kansas Department of Education website.

In addition, it is wise to call the KSDE and speak with a representative who can help make sure you are on the right path: (785) 291-3678

Good Luck!

Sponsored Content

Back to the top