How to Become a Hawaii School Counselor
Where are you on your quest to become a Hawaii School Counselor?
Explore the information below and learn how you can become a school counselor in Hawaii. Some of the information below may be subject to change. In order to make sure you have the most current information, please feel free to contact your school counseling education program advisor or contact the Hawaii Department of Education licensing department at (808) 586-2616.
- Top Picks
Featured Universities with School Counseling Programs
NYU Steinhardt's accredited master of arts program in Counseling and Guidance: School and Bilingual School Counseling. Through this online program, you will gain the skills you need to become a professional Pre-K-12 school counselor, working with children and families in your community to foster academic achievement and success. Click here to contact New York University and request information about their programs.
Earn a Master's degree in School Counseling online from the University of Denver. Learn from doctoral-level faculty in live classes and gain experience through mock counseling and in-field training. No GRE required. Click here to contact University of Denver and request information about their programs.
Become a professional school counselor in K-12 settings with an online Master of Education (ME) in School Counseling from top-ranked USC Rossier School of Education. Complete in as few as 20 months. Click here to contact USC Rossier School of Education and request information about their programs.
I’m a High School Graduate…
As a high school graduate already looking into your career options, you are in a fantastic position. It will be some time before you possess a Master’s degree and the certification qualifications to become a counselor in Hawaii; however, on the bright side, you will have many options to enter the field of education, take classes on school psychology and counseling, and decide whether a career as a Hawaii school counselor is right for you. The following are a couple steps you can begin persuing now in order to best prepare you for a career in school counseling.
Gather information from schools offering associate degree programs or bachelor degree programs in psychology, counseling or any type of program you are currently interested in. It is not imperative you enroll in a counseling program at this point. The only necessity is that you begin earning your associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree.
A great way to find out if you are interested in a social service type of career, like school counseling, is to find volunteering organizations who work with children or young adults. The following are links to organizations who can place you in volunteering positions across the state of Hawaii:
- Get Connected Hawaii (you can find various opportunities working with the age of student you wish to counsel)
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Hawaii
- Mentoring is a fantastic way to donate some of your time. You will quickly learn if a career in education or school counseling is right for you. Secondly you will be boosting your resume for a future job prospect. Lastly, mentoring is a fantastic thing to do for young people in Hawaii who are in need of positive role models.
- Hawaii Public Schools Database
- Use this link to find public school listings, contact information and school websites. Find schools near you and request information on any volunteering opportunities for a high school graduate. This is another great opportunity to find out if you enjoy working in the educational environment as well as beef up your resume.
School counseling in Hawaii is a socially responsible and highly rewarding career. So, enjoy exploring the field and learning more about becoming a counselor in Hawaii as you earn your undergraduate education.
I have already earned a college degree…
The following are the steps necessary for earning your school counseling certification in Hawaii:
Fulfill educational requirements through one of the following avenues:
- Earn a Master’s degree in School Counseling
- Capella University Master of Science (MS) in Human Services – School Counseling Specialization – CACREP and State Approved **
- New York University (NYU) Master of Arts in Counseling and Guidance – School Counseling and Bilingual School Counseling – MPCAC Accredited
- UMass Online (Master of Education (M.Ed.) in School Counseling – NEASC and State-Approved program)
- Or find more school counseling programs in Hawaii here.
You will need to make sure your school counseling program provides opportunities for the completion of a practicum experience as well as an internship.
All examinations will need to be successfully completed by the fourth year of employment.
- Praxis I Pre Professional Skills Test (PPST)
- Praxis II Principles of Learning and Teaching
- Praxis II School Counseling and Guidance
You will need to have official transcripts from your counseling education institution sent to the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board (HTSB).
You can submit an application for certification online at the following webpage, HTSB Licensing and Permits.
School counseling is a highly demanding, but also highly rewarding profession. Relative to other educators, Hawaii school counselors are paid higher than the average educator and are also having more influence on the direction of curriculum and educational programs.
I’m a certified counselor from another state…
Hawaii recognizes comparable school counseling certifications from other states. In order to attain your Hawaii school counselor certification, you will need to complete the directions and application indicated on the following webpage: HTSB Out-of-state cerification.