School Counseling Master's Programs
Master Degree Programs in School Counseling
Most states require the completion of a Master's degree program in School Counseling in order to become a certified school counselor.
As school counselors begin counseling teachers and administrators more and more regarding the most effective educational practices based on student psychology, school counselors will need additional skills in order to perform in this new, more directorial position. As a result, school counseling master's degree programs are already providing career skills that are similar to those learned in business administration.
Featured Universities with School Counseling Programs
NYU Steinhardt's accredited master of arts program in Counseling and Guidance: School and Bilingual School Counseling. Through this online program, you will gain the skills you need to become a professional Pre-K-12 school counselor, working with children and families in your community to foster academic achievement and success. Click here to contact New York University and request information about their programs.
Capella University offers four online CACREP-accredited Graduate Programs in Counseling: MS in Mental Health Counseling, MS in Marriage & Family Counseling/Therapy, MS in School Counseling, and PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision. Click here to contact Capella University and request information about their programs.
School counselors are being taught to understand the overall mission of their hiring schools and then they are taught to understand how student psychology and theory can be implemented to help schools and school districts meet their goals.
The following are a list of some of the concepts taught in School Counseling Master's Programs as stated by the American School Counselors Association (ASCA):
- Human Growth and Development
- Individual Counseling
- Group Counseling
- Social and Cultural Foundations
- Research and Program Evaluation (Assessments)
- Professional Orientation
- Career Development
- Supervised Practicum
- Supervised Internship
Learn more about the Master's degree program in school counseling or guidance counseling by contacting the following schools:
Master's degree programs in School Counseling (Featured Schools)
- Capella University
- Capella University offers an online school counseling program for students across the country (program not yet approved for licensure in Minnesota and South Carolina). They also offer graduate programs in various counseling fields and psychology.
- Liberty University
- Liberty University offers an online Masters of Education in School Counseling program that is both a National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) approved and state-approved program for certification.
- UMass Online (University of Massachusetts)
- The University of Massachusetts offers a Master of Education (M.Ed.) in School Counseling that is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) and approved by the Massachusetts Department of Education. The ease of reciprocity makes this program for online students across the country.
School Counseling Programs
You can learn more about other schools offering the Master's level school counseling program by searching your state's Department of Education website or by contacting a certification representative.