How to Become a Texas School Counselor
Where are you on your quest to become a Texas School Counselor?
- I'm a High School Graduate...
- I have already earned a college degree...
- I'm a certified counselor from another state...
Explore the information below and learn how you can become a school counselor in Texas. Some of the information below may be subject to change. In order to make sure you have the most current information, please feel free to contact your school counseling education program advisor or contact the Texas Department of Education licensing department at (512) 238-3200.
I'm a High School Graduate...
You're a high school graduate already looking into the professional career of a Texas school counselor. By doing research at this stage, you are showing initiative and maturity. Both of these virtues will help you immeasurably throughout your career research and life in general. However, virtues are only as valuable as how diligently you act on them. So, don't stop here!
Below are recommended steps that will help you learn more about advancing you current level of education as well as learn more about whether the Texas school counseling career is right for you.
Gather information from schools offering associate degree programs or bachelor degree programs in psychology, counseling or any type of program you are currently interested in. It is not imperative you enroll in a counseling program at this point. The only necessity is that you begin earning your associate's degree or bachelor's degree.
A great way to find out if you are interested in a social service type of career, like school counseling, is to find volunteering organizations who work with children or young adults. The following are links to organizations who can place you in volunteering positions across the state of Texas:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas (Austin)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southern Texas (San Antonio)
- Texas school and school district search tool
- Use this link to find schools near you as well as each school's contact information. Contact these schools to find out if there are any volunteer programs you may participate in.
Lastly, do not be afraid to explore various career options. In the field of education, there are many opportunities that require individuals with various talents. Whether you end up as a counselor, a teacher, an administrator or school psychologist, you will be supporting one of the greatest, most honorable endeavors you can, educating Texas.
I have already earned a college degree...
The following are the steps necessary for earning your school counseling certification in Texas:
Fulfill educational requirements through one of the following avenues:
- Earn a Master's degree in School Counseling
- Capella University (Master of Science (MS) in Human Services - School Counseling Specialization - CACREP and State Approved**
- Liberty University Online (Master of Education (M.Ed.) in School Counseling - NCATE and State-Approved program)
- UMass Online (Master of Education (M.Ed.) in School Counseling - NEASC and State-Approved program)
- Or browse the Texas Department of Education to find out which schools offer accredited graduate programs in guidance and counseling (use the drop-down menu to choose school counseling).
Experience requirements state that you must have been a teacher prior to earning your school counseling certification. You will need to have completed 2 years of teaching experience before you will be qualified to earn your Texas school counselor certification.
Find more information on earning your Texas teacher certification. Or request information regarding teacher certification programs below:
You will need to successfully complete the #152 TExES School Counselor Examination.
You can find more information about the examination, testing locations and dates on the following webpage: TExES examination information.
You will also need to complete a national finger-print background check. You can find more information about the Texas finger-printing process on the Texas Department of Education website.
Make sure you have all your credentials and qualifications completed. You can find more information about requirements for Texas School Counselor certification here.
In addition, you should call a certification representative to make sure you are doing everything correctly. Call the following number: (512) 463-9734
I'm a certified counselor from another state...
Texas does not offer educator certification simply through reciprocity agreements. However, you can have your current credentials reviewed and if your qualifications match the Texas school counselor certification requirements, you will be awarded a certification after processing of your application.
You can also apply for a temporary certification if you current credentials do not satisfy the Texas certification requirements.
You can find more information about out-of-state Texas school counselor certification process on the Texas Department of Education website.