How to Become an Oklahoma School Counselor
Where are you on your quest to become an Oklahoma School Counselor?
- I'm a High School Graduate...
- I have already earned a college degree...
- I'm a certified counselor from another state...
Explore the information below and learn how you can become a school counselor in Oklahoma. Some of the information below may be subject to change. In order to make sure you have the most current information, please feel free to contact your school counseling education program advisor or contact the Oklahoma Department of Education licensing department at (405) 521-3337.
Featured Universities with School Counseling Programs
NYU Steinhardt's accredited master of arts program in Counseling and Guidance: School and Bilingual School Counseling. Through this online program, you will gain the skills you need to become a professional Pre-K-12 school counselor, working with children and families in your community to foster academic achievement and success. Click here to contact New York University and request information about their programs.
Capella University offers four online CACREP-accredited Graduate Programs in Counseling: MS in Mental Health Counseling, MS in Marriage & Family Counseling/Therapy, MS in School Counseling, and PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision. Click here to contact Capella University and request information about their programs.
I'm a High School Graduate...
As a high school graduate already researching the Oklahoma school counselor career, you are way ahead of the curve! Finding a career that evokes interest and a sense of purpose is difficult to do. However, finding a career that will provide you with happiness and satisfaction will be one of the most important endeavors of your life. So, don't stop now!
The following are recommended steps to help you learn how to advance your level of education as well as information for learning more about whether a career as an Oklahoma school counselor is right for you.
Gather information from schools offering associate degree programs or bachelor degree programs in psychology, counseling or any type of program you are currently interested in. It is not imperative you enroll in a counseling program at this point. The only necessity is that you begin earning your associate's degree or bachelor's degree.
A great way to find out if you are interested in a social service type of career, like school counseling, is to find volunteering organizations who work with children or young adults. The following are links to organizations who can place you in volunteering positions across the state of Oklahoma:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Oklahoma
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tulsa
- Oklahoma List of Schools and School Districts
- Use this link to find schools near you as well as each school's contact information. Contact these schools to find out if there are any volunteer programs you may participate in.
Finally, go ahead and get out there! Early motivation and maturity of career research is only useful if you use it. So, get out there and volunteer, work in a public school and begin earning your post-secondary education.
I have already earned a college degree...
The following are the steps necessary for earning your school counseling certification in Oklahoma:
Fulfill educational requirements through the following avenue:
- Earn a Master's degree in School Counseling
- Capella University Master of Science (MS) in Human Services - School Counseling Specialization - CACREP and State Approved**
- New York University (NYU) Master of Arts in Counseling and Guidance - School Counseling and Bilingual School Counseling - MPCAC Accredited
- Northwestern University - CACREP-Accredited Online Master of Arts in Counseling (meets requirements to become a school counselor)
- UMass Online (Master of Education (M.Ed.) in School Counseling - NEASC and State-Approved program)
- Or find more school counseling programs in Oklahoma here.
You will also need to complete a two semester hour course focused on the education of the exceptional child.
You will need to successfully complete the Oklahoma school counselor certification examination requirements:
- The Oklahoma Professional Teaching Examination (OKPT)
- Oklahoma's subject area test of School Counseling
- And, the Oklahoma General Education Test
Click here for information about the testing requirements listed above.
You will find instructions for additional requirements of Oklahoma school counseling licensure, such as background check procedures, application fees, etc., on the following Oklahoma Department of Education webpage.
Print out the Application for Oklahoma School License.
If you need more information regarding requirements and licensure procedures, call the Oklahoma Department of Education at the following number: (405) 521-3337
This step is highly recommended to make sure you are not wasting your time and energy taking classes or completing procedures that are not necessary or to make sure you do not begin the application procedure before you have all the necessary qualifications.
I'm a certified counselor from another state...
The Oklahoma Department of Education does recognize reciprocity agreements between participating states. However, you will still need to have your credentials evaluated by the appropriate agency.
Instructions for applying for an Oklahoma school counselor certification can be found on the following Oklahoma Department of Education webpage after downloading the out-of-state application.
For more information, contact the Oklahoma Department of Education by phone at the following number: (405) 521-3337