New York Links
How to Become a New York School Counselor
Where are you on your quest to become a New York School Counselor?
- I'm a High School Graduate...
- I have already earned a college degree...
- I'm a certified counselor from another state...
Explore the information below and learn how you can become a school counselor in New York. Some of the information below may be subject to change. In order to make sure you have the most current information, please feel free to contact your school counseling education program advisor or contact the New York Department of Education licensing department at (518) 474-3901.
Capella offers four online CACREP - Accredited Graduate Programs in Counseling with specialty tracks in Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy, Addiction Counseling, and School Counseling, as well as a COAMFTE-accredited master's degree in Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy. Capella also has psychology program options in General Psychology, Clinical Counseling, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Educational Psychology, Sport Psychology, and more. Click here to contact Capella University and request information about their programs.
I'm a High School Graduate...
As a high school graduate looking into the New York school counselor career, you are way ahead of the curve! By exploring professional careers now, you are showing motivation and maturity that will aid you in many aspects of your life.
However, don't stop now! Go ahead and get the ball rolling now and you will experience many doors being open to you down the road.
The following are recommended steps to help you begin gaining education to eventually be qualified for New York school counselor certification. In addition, you will find information about opportunities that will help you learn whether a career in school counseling or the field of education is right for you.
Gather information from schools offering associate degree programs or bachelor degree programs in psychology, counseling or any type of program you are currently interested in. It is not imperative you enroll in a counseling program at this point. The only necessity is that you begin earning your associate's degree or bachelor's degree.
A great way to find out if you are interested in a social service type of career, like school counseling, is to find volunteering organizations who work with children or young adults. The following are links to organizations who can place you in volunteering positions across the state of New York:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of New York City
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Long Island
- New York Directory of Schools and School Districts
- Use this link to find schools near you as well as each school's contact information. Contact these schools to find out if there are any volunteer programs you may participate in.
Finally, now that you have some direction, get out there! Go ahead and learn where you can begin earning your post-secondary education. Get out and learn about volunteering opportunities or work opportunities in schools. You will thank yourself later for getting an early jump on your career!
I have already earned a college degree...
The following are the steps necessary for earning your school counseling certification in New York:
Fulfill educational requirements through one of the following avenues:
- Earn a Master's degree in School Counseling
- Capella University (Master of Science (MS) in Human Services - School Counseling Specialization - CACREP and State Approved**
- Liberty University Online (Master of Education (M.Ed.) in School Counseling - NCATE and State-Approved program)
- UMass Online (Master of Education (M.Ed.) in School Counseling - NEASC and State-Approved program)
- Or find more school counseling programs in New York here.
- Or complete a Bachelor's degree and separately complete 30 semester hours of approved graduate study in school counseling (Find approved school counseling programs).
Typically, your school counselor preparation program will help you with the certification application process. To learn more about the application process and all requirements necessary for New York school counselor certification, use the following webpage and follow the instructions stating the process for certification.
I'm a certified counselor from another state...
Through interstate reciprocity agreements, those who hold a school counseling certification from a participating state may be granted a similar certification in New York. In order to be a New York school counselor certification prospect, you will need to have either completed an approved out-of-state school counseling preparation program or currently possess a valid, advanced-level certification with 3 years of service. 2 of the 3 years must have been served as a school counselor.
For more information, browse the following New York Department of Education webpage for Interstate Certification Agreement Applicants.