How to Become a Louisiana School Counselor
Where are you on your quest to become a Louisiana School Counselor?
- I'm a High School Graduate...
- I have already earned a college degree...
- I'm a certified counselor from another state...
Explore the information below and learn how you can become a school counselor in Louisiana. Some of the information below may be subject to change. In order to make sure you have the most current information, please feel free to contact your school counseling education program advisor or contact the Louisiana Department of Education licensing department at (877) 453-2721.
Capella University offers four online CACREP-accredited Graduate Programs in Counseling: MS in Mental Health Counseling, MS in Marriage & Family Counseling/Therapy, MS in School Counseling, and PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision. The MS in Marriage & Family Counseling/Therapy program is also COAMFTE-accredited. In addition, Capella has program options in Addiction Studies, Studies in Human Behavior, General Psychology, Clinical Counseling, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Educational Psychology, Sport Psychology, and more. Click here to contact Capella University and request information about their programs.
I'm a High School Graduate...
If you've just graduated from high school, you are in a great position to see just how valuable quality education and counseling can be when it comes to the future of Louisiana. With more education and better direction, we all stand a better chance to succeed in whatever endeavors we lay before us.
As a Louisiana high school graduate pondering your future career, you are in a fantastic place to make the best decision possible. You can earn an associate's degree or bachelor's degree in any subject you wish and you will still be advancing toward a Louisiana school counseling certification.
The following are a few steps you can take to prepare yourself for a career in education.
Gather information from schools offering associate degree programs or bachelor degree programs in psychology, counseling or any type of program you are currently interested in. It is not imperative you enroll in a counseling program at this point. The only necessity is that you begin earning your associate's degree or bachelor's degree.
A great way to find out if you are interested in a social service type of career, like school counseling, is to find volunteering organizations who work with children or young adults. The following are links to organizations who can place you in volunteering positions across the state of Louisiana:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southeast Louisiana
- Volunteer Louisiana
- List of Louisiana School Districts
- Use this link to find schools near you as well as each school's contact information. Contact these schools to find out if there are any volunteer programs you may participate in.
Now don't hesitate! Start gathering information about earning your associate's or bachelor's degree as soon as possible! And don't be afraid to jump into a volunteering position. You will learn much about the field of education while also gaining frienships and feeling great about serving your community.
I have already earned a college degree...
The following are the steps necessary for earning your school counseling certification in Louisiana:
Fulfill the Louisiana school counselor educational requirements:
- Earn a Master's degree in School Counseling
- Capella University Master of Science (MS) in Human Services - School Counseling Specialization - CACREP and State Approved**
- New York University (NYU) Master of Arts in Counseling and Guidance - School Counseling and Bilingual School Counseling - MPCAC Accredited
- UMass Online (Master of Education (M.Ed.) in School Counseling - NEASC and State-Approved program)
- Or find more school counseling programs in Louisiana here.
- Earn a Master's in any other field and then separately, complete a school counseling program from an approved educational institution.
- School counseling programs should offer at least 24 semester hours in the following subjects:
- Principles and Administration of School Counseling Programs - 3 semester hours
- Career and LIfestyle Development - 3 semester hours
- Individual Appraisal - 3 semester hours
- Counseling Theory and Practice - 3 semester hours
- Group Processes - 3 semester hours
- Human Growth and Development - 3 semester hours
- Social and Cultural Foundations in Counseling - 3 semester hours
You will also need to complete a school counseling practicum that is completed in a school setting.
You will need to request official transcripts from all post-secondary education you have received.
You will need to download the Ancillary Certification Application Packet and follow all instructions, attach all documentation menionted and call the Louisiana Department of Education for further questions at (877) 453-2721.
Send all of your Louisiana school counselor certification application information to the following address:
- Division of Certification and Preparation
Louisiana Department of Education
P.O. Box 94064
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9064
I'm a certified counselor from another state...
The Louisiana Department of Education will assess your current certification and all of your credentials. If they are comparable with the Louisiana requirements for school guidance counselor certification, then you will be awarded the certification.
You can find out if you have all of the qualifications completed by calling the Louisiana Department of Education toll free at: (877) 453-2721
In addition, you will need to download the Ancillary Certification Application Packet. The packet has instructions and lists of requirements for certification.
So, good luck!